Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Carrot Flowers

Hello! This is the cover of my new sketchbook that I had abandoned some few months ago. It's weird seeing my drawings from the first semester of a fashion illustration class, and my drawings now.

Anyhoo...I'm loving my comic class so far. I made final character designs, so here's how they turned out (most of the feet were cut off because my scanner is tiny).


Joey is an innocent little 8 year old who likes to wear different socks. He also loves carrots and wants his skin to turn orange because he thinks it'll be cool. He has an older brother named Peter.




This is Roxanne, people call her Rox. She's 19 years old and she's dating Joey's older brother who's 16. She likes them young I guess. She also hates wearing bras and has somewhat saggy boobs. But she's cool with that. She loves walking around without a shirt.




Here's Peter, the 16 year old guy dating a much older and mature woman, and Joey's older brother. He's kind of a boring character.


And lastly, Beth. 48-something year old widowed mother of Joey and Peter who likes to drink beer and has unusually small feet. She's a typical depressed, non-responsible mum who mops around in her own self-pity. Enough said.

So the story...it's loosely based on a song I discovered not too long ago called "The King of Carrot Flowers" (part 1) by Neutral Milk Hotel. Honestly, I was at a complete loss at what the hell I should do for a 4-paged story. My ideas were too long and complex, and for some reason this song struck me as something I could do in a very simple slice-of-life storyline in a few pages. No, it's not going to be the most original unique story ever made, but it's more of like a learning process to help me produce comics better.


Here are some early sketches of Roxanne and Peter while I was deciding what I liked and didn't like. Originally Joey was just going to be Peter when he was 8 years old, and then whatever-years later, he'd be this. But I scratched that out and just made the little guy his own character.



So here's more early-sketches of little Joey being a little mischief. Running around in his imaginary royal cape and crown just being silly. I was originally going to have a father in this story, but scratched that idea out too...
There's also some non-related stuff there...a badly drawn ferris wheel, a paper cat, a random girl, and some cut off legs.


Not-as-early sketch of Roxanne with no shirt. I was trying to get good with my brush pen again because I haven't used it in...forever. Also, just an excuse to draw some more boobs. Mmhm.


I looked up some references of abandoned houses and sketched some things out. They're somewhat poor and live in the middle of some farmland.


Carrot flower studies, and some more sketches.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog with a nice picture. it was nice going through your blog. Keep on posting :)

    ReplyDelete